Hooray for the start of Spring! There are so many fun things about springtime. The weather here has been absolutely perfect. More fruits and vegetables are in season. The days are getting longer. And, gloriously, Easter candy has hit the shelves of the store. So, naturally, that means that it’s also time to make some Easter ice cream flavors!
Up first, Cadbury Creme Egg ice cream! We wanted to replicate the creamy center and the crunch of the shell, so we went ahead and made a chocolate base with a sweetened condensed milk swirl and layers of hard shell. It’s the perfect replica of the perfect Easter treat!
Cadbury Creme Egg
Egg-cellent in every way!
1 cup whole milk
4 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick (8 oz) butter
Hard shell ice cream topping (see note)
- Melt the 4 oz of chocolate in a double broiler. Once melted, slowly add the 1 cup of milk little bits at a time until the chocolate mixture is smooth and consistent in texture and color. Set aside until the rest of the base is ready.
- Whisk the eggs until they are light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the sugar until the color turns lighter and the consistency is smooth, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the egg/sugar mixture to a sauce pan along with the milk and cream. Heat on medium low heat until it reaches 170, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom with a spatula to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Pour the hot mixture into the chocolate/milk mixture. Stir until completely combined.
- Add the custard base into a plastic gallon bag, and put in a prepared ice bath until cooled (about 15-20 minutes).
- While the base cools, pour the can of sweetened condensed milk and a stick of butter into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted. Mix well as set aside until you’re ready to swirl it into the ice cream. (It might separate, in which case just give it another stir before adding it to the ice cream.
- When ready, make in your ice cream maker based on the maker’s instructions.
- When the ice cream is ready to come out, add a thin layer of ice cream to the bottom. Pour a layer of chocolate shell on top of that and allow it to harden for just a second. On top of that, pour a generous layer of the sweetened condensed milk. Repeat the ice cream, shell, condensed milk layers until all of your ice cream is in the container.
- Move the ice cream to the freezer until hardened (about 4 hours).
- We used store bought this time, but you can also make your own. Simply melt 1 cup of chocolate chips with about 1 Tbs coconut oil, and stir well. If you use store bought like we did, just make sure to shake it well!