When looking up interesting flavors, we saw olive oil come up over and over again. People kept raving about it. Really, I thought it sounded disgusting. But, I guess we were feeling especially adventurous this week because we decided to try it. We were looking to try something really different and thought, why not? Worst case scenario, we make some kind of disgusting ice cream.
I was too chicken to make just a straight olive oil ice cream, though. I had to add a few things to it that I knew I liked, in the hopes that I would like it more. So, we made a straight olive oil, took out half of it after it had churned to try it plain, and then added chocolate flecks and roasted pecans to the other half.
The result was so interesting. It really is an odd experience. If I’m being honest, the straight olive oil was not my favorite flavor. It was good, but a little too earthy for me. The olive oil with the chocolate and pecans, however, was AMAZING! The chocolate cuts back on the after taste of the olive oil, but you still get a hint of earthiness and that olive oil flavor. I loved it so much more than I thought I would. The texture of the ice cream is so interesting because the oil doesn’t freeze. It makes such a silky ice cream and the chunks were the perfect little extra touch!
Olive Oil with Chocolate Flecks and Pecans
Oil love making this one again!
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbs vanilla
Dash of salt
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- Chocolate Flecks and Pecan Mix Ins
2 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp vegetable oil
Roasted pecans (I just bought some honey roasted pecans from the store)
- Whisk the eggs until they are light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the sugar until the color turns lighter and the consistency is smooth, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the egg/sugar mixture to a sauce pan along with the milk and cream. Heat on medium low heat until it reaches 170, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom with a spatula to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Remove from heat. Add the olive oil and whisk until well blended.
- Add base to a plastic gallon bag, and put in a prepared ice bath until cooled (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add the salt and vanilla. When ready, make in your ice cream maker based on the maker’s instructions.
- During the last 5-10 minutes in the machine, when the ice cream is about the texture of soft serve, add in your pecan chunks and fleck the chocolate sauce in it. Don’t add it all in! Add handfuls at a time until you get your desired chunkiness.
- Add the ice cream to the container of your choice. Move to the freezer until hardened (at least 4 hours).
- Chocolate Flecks
- Melt the chocolate and oil in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until the consistency is melted and smooth. Be careful not to burn.
- During the very last few minutes of your ice cream churning slowly drizzle in the melted chocolate. It will create these perfect little chocolate flecks! Just don’t overmix, or it may start to turn the ice cream brown.